LEGEND OF SEATTLE SLEW w/BONUS FOOTAGE
A 25-year Triple Crown drought existed between CITATION's 1948 Triple Crown to SECRETARIAT's in 1973 - but it was well worth the wait. Breeders tried endlessly to reproduce the magic of SECRETARIAT and over 28,000 Thoroughbreds were born in 1974 and any number of them were immaculately bred. Horse owners flocked to auctions in hopes of finding that miracle horse who could win the Triple Crown and one of the things looked at most carefully was a horse's genetic background - preferably from the BOLD RULER sire line.
Rare film shows SEATTLE SLEW as a yearling at a Fasig-Tipton auction in which the gavel came down for $17,500 - a paltry amount for the BOLD REASONING colt.
See early film footage of his two-year-old racing season winning the 1976 Champagne, his stakes debut, in record time by nine incredible lengths and in his three-year-old season winning the 1977 Wood Memorial, 1977 Kentucky Derby, 1977 Preakness and 1977 Belmont over such stellar rivals as RUN DUSTY RUN, J.O. TOBIN, CORMORANT and IRON CONSTITUTION - the first horse in history to capture the Triple Crown undefeated.
Exclusive interviews with owner, Karen Taylor and trainer, Billy Turner, reveal the controversy surrounding the decision of the, "Slew Crew", to run "SLEW" in the Swaps Stakes in California immediately following the Belmont - delivering his first crushing defeat by J.O. TOBIN, not only soiling his perfect record but also turning an adoring public against his management. The popular Billy Turner was fired and all sorts of ugliness followed including SLEW's near-death blood infection encounter which knocked him out until the following Spring of 1978.
In his four-year-old season SLEW would race against that years' Triple Crown winner, AFFIRMED, in the 1978 Marlboro Cup - the first meeting between two Triple Crown winners in history; see this much heralded race in which SLEW confirmed his status as one of the greatest race horses of all time and also the 1978 Jockey Cup Gold Cup - the first race in which three millionaires raced against each other: EXCELLER, SEATTLE SLEW, and AFFIRMED. SLEW would narrowly lose by a nose to international globetrotter, EXCELLER, but many called his brilliant second effort his most impressive race because it showed people that once his speed had been compromised, he still wasn't through.
Watch SLEW close out his career with a victory in the Styvesent Handicap at Aqueduct carrying 134-lbs. and spotting the field 20 lbs. and more!
In his 17-race career, SEATTLE SLEW had won fourteen times and left his mark on the history of racing for years to come!
AS AN ADDED BONUS...Several outstanding segments of SEATTLE SLEW from various sources through the years are also included after the running of the main feature - ENJOY!!
1) SLEW undergoes treatment for mild neurological dysfunction of the spine at 26-years-old in 2000
2) SLEW undergoes successful surgery to fuse a couple vertebrae together
3) SLEW returns to Three Chimneys Farm after his surgery
4) A segment on SEATTLE SLEW during the 2001 Breeders' Cup broadcast - the only living Triple Crown winner
5) Another segment on SLEW during the week leading up to the 2002 Kentucky Derby; once again...the only living Triple Crown winner
6) Visa credit card commercials of SEATTLE SLEW with jockey, Jean Cruget
7) SEATTLE SLEW, the 10th Triple Crown winner, dies peacefully in his stall on 5/7/77 at 28-years-old; 25 years to the day he won the 1977 Kentucky Derby
8) Visa credit card pays tribute to SEATTLE SLEW; his 1977 Preakness victory is showcased
9) Extra lengthy tribute in memoriam to SEATTLE SLEW
10) A look back at the immortal SEATTLE SLEW 1974-2002
11) Super rare Three Chimneys Farm segment on the foundation stallions that jump-started the farm: SLEW O'GOLD, CHIEF'S CROWN and SEATTLE SLEW
12) MAGGIE SLEW - the last foal from SEATTLE SLEW's final crop
13) Horse racing channel HRTV phone interviews SLEW's trainer, Billy Turner, during the week leading up to BIG BROWN's possible Triple Crown sweep the week of the 2008 Belmont Stakes
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||U.S. & Canadian Flat Racing|