JOCKEYS (Animal Planet's 7-Episode Docu-Drama Series/2ND SEASON)
Every day is a gamble and each mount has the possibility of putting them closer and closer to infamy. It's a world dominated by ferocious rivalries, fierce bonds and extraordinary risk as it documents the behind-the-scenes lives of jockeys and their magnificent racehorses.
The new season of JOCKEYS follows Chantal Sutherland, Mike Smith, Kayla Stra, Alex Solis, Joe Talamo, Aaron Gryder and introduces two new jockeys Garrett Gomez and Corey Nakatani, who are at the height of their careers as they compete in the most dangerous two minutes in sports.
There are seven episodes this season:
1) LIFE IS A GAMBLE: Game on! Santa Anita's gates are re-opening, and the jockeys are back, ready to gamble with their lives for a chance to make history and to grab a spot in the Kentucky Derby. Last year, a devastating crash forced JOCKEYS newcomer Corey Nakatani out of the game for two months. Now, this 'bad boy' of the horse racing world is ready to fight his way back to the top. Meanwhile, young trainer Kristin Mulhall is playing a high-stakes game of poker in what's known as a "claiming race" with a promising horse named BULLYBULLYBULLY. A claiming race increases a horse's chance to advance its racing career; each horse entered is available for purchase at a fixed price prior to the race, and if a horse is selected, the owner must sell. Kristin and BULLYBULLYBULLY's jockey Chantal Sutherland stand to win big - but only if they can keep the horse's true talent a secret from the rest of the horse racing world.
2) I WANT REVENGE: For jockeys every day is judgment day. Each perilous ride could win them riches and respect or leave them seriously injured. Every loss is noticed. For Aaron Gryder, his trip to the $6 million dollar Dubai World Cup not only gives him a shot at big money, but also a chance at redemption from his devastating Breeders' Cup loss. Santa Anita's young star, Joe Talamo, battles the blush of youth pushing his way towards the Kentucky Derby on a horse named I WANT REVENGE. And Iggy Puglisi is fighting his way back from an injury that cost him two years of racing and his reputation as a top rider. Three jockeys all with the same goals - getting their money, and getting their glory.
3) THE HAVE NOTS: The gap between the haves and have-nots in the jockey colony is huge. It's a man's world and the name of the game is winning - if you're not on top, you're out. Tensions rise in the male dominated jocks room as Chantal Sutherland and Kayla Stra fight for their wins on and off the track. A different battle rages on when fallen star Iggy Puglisi finally gets a shot in the biggest race of the day, a race that could help him get his career back on track, if only he can win.
4) SPLIT DECISION: Chantal Sutherland and Jon Court are torn between their two great loves -their families and their careers. With their stars fading in Southern California, the clock is ticking and they must make a decision that will change the rest of their lives.
5) TILT: Alex Solis and his son have a lifetime of dreams wrapped into ONE horse. And the Santa Anita Derby is their ticket to the Kentucky Derby and possibly Alex's seat in the Hall of Fame. But when ruthlessly competitive rival trainer Bob Baffert enters a "rabbit" in the race and hires Aaron Gryder to ride him, all bets are off.
6) NO SUCH THING AS A SURE THING: It's the final days before the Kentucky Derby. With months of blood, sweat, tears and preparation in the game Mike Smith, Garret Gomez and Joe Talamo are about to learn the toughest lesson in horse racing - there's no such thing a sure thing.
7) NINETEEN WAYS TO LOSE: The Kentucky Derby is a Kingmaker for jockeys. It's the reason you brave the game. The moment of truth has finally arrived for Chantal Sutherland, Joe Talamo, Mike Smith and Garrett Gomez. In the toughest two minutes in sports. There are nineteen ways to lose but only one way to win. Everybody wants it- only one can have it - Victory.
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||U.S. & Canadian Flat Racing|