1990 BREEDERS' CUP (Entire Televised Broadcast from BELMONT PARK)
A day of tragedy, with the spills of three horses and the deaths of MR. NICKERSON in the Sprint and the great GO FOR WAND in the Distaff. Yet, struggling through racing's worst day of tears since the death of RUFFIAN, stars are born while others cement their greatness.
1) SPRINT - Can speedy filly SAFELY KEPT avenge her loss in 1989's Sprint to DANCING SPREE? Both must contend with
Europe's top sprinter, DAYJUR, plus homegrown speedballs CARSON CITY and BLACK TIE AFFAIR, in a race filled with drama (DAYJUR blows the race by jumping over a shadow!) and the tragic accident on the backstretch.
2) JUVENILE FILLIES - Can the undefeated MEADOW STAR make it seven straight, laying claim to becoming one of the all time best two-year-old fillies? You bet she can, and with ridiculous ease through forced wide! Among her victims are PRIVATE TREASURE, DANCE SMARTLY, FLAWLESSLY and LITE LIGHT.
3) DISTAFF - Can the great BAYAKOA defend her crown against the equally great three-year-old filly GO FOR WAND? Watch the superstars duel head to head - until tragedy strikes. All but lost in the trackside grief are the second and third-place finishes of COLONIAL WATERS and VALAY MAID.
4) MILE - STEINLEN is here to defend his title, but he must face toughies like ROYAL ACADEMY, ITSALLGREEKTOME, PRIOLO, MARK OF DISTINCTION and WHO'S TO PAY.
5) JUVENILE COLTS - Classic East vs. West battle, as Eastern champ FLY SO FREE takes on California-bred gelding BEST PAL. Seeking an upset are TAKE ME OUT, LOST MOUNTAIN, FIRE IN ICE and WILDLY SPECIAL, but this day belongs to FLY SO FREE who breaks the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Colt record!
6) TURF - Plenty of talent here, with Arc de Triomphe winner SAUMAREZ ready to take on a pair of tough Canadians, SKY CLASSIC and 1989 Canadian Triple Crown winner WITH APPROVAL. Another tough European IN THE WINGS is also here, while America is represented by veteran turfer EL SENOR and PLEASANT TAP.
7) CLASSIC - SUNDAY SILENCE, EASY GOER and CRIMINAL TYPE are absent, as injuries forced all into retirement, but even without them, what a field we have here! 1989 Juvenile winner RHYTHM is the favorite, but he faces such competitors as 1990 Canadian triple crown winner IZVESTIA, 1990 Kentucky Derby winner UNBRIDLED, Belmont winner GO AND GO, speedy DISPERSAL, owner of five straight graded stake wins, FLYING CONTINENTAL, winner of the Jockey Club Gold Cup, THIRTY SIX RED, BEAU GENIUS, IBN BAY and LIVELY ONE!
Highlights include MEADOW STAR's great performance, two victories by JOSE SANTOS after taking a first race spill, UNBRIDLED overcoming the fourteen-hole to win magnificently, and specials on legendary ANGEL CORDERO and the lasix controversy, particularly poignant on this day when lasix remained illegal in New York, clearly compromising horses like BEST PAL who needed it. But most of all, you won't want to miss the tragic end befalling GO FOR WAND - be sure to have some kleenex handy...you'll need it...that's for sure.
FOR A DETAILED CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF ALL 7 RACES SHOWN IN THIS FEATURE, INCLUDING THE NAMES OF ALL THE HORSES IN EACH FIELD - JUST REQUEST A COPY AND A COMPILATION SHEET ALONG WITH THE 1,2,3 FINISHERS WILL BE E-MAILED TO YOU.
(3 Hours and 20 Minutes)
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||U.S. & Canadian Flat Racing|