1996 BREEDERS' CUP (Entire Televised Broadcast from WOODBINE)
As the Breeders' Cup moves to Canada for the first time, this year's story, like the preceding year, is again about CIGAR, who fails to defend his Classic title but still is magnificent in defeat, giving his all in a desperate attempt to overcome a track bias against the outside and being forced way wide around both turns. This is the last race of his career, yet even in defeat, he shows the heart of a champion, never giving up and showing, even at the very end, that he was still the best of his generation.
1) JUVENILE FILLIES - Here's the rematch of top gals STORM SONG and SHARP CAT, who also must stave off the upset efforts of LOVE THAT JAZZ, CRITICAL FACTOR, CITY BAND and BARBED WIRE.
2) SPRINT - Tons of talent here, with speedballs HONOR AND GLORY, APPEALING SKIER, filly CAPOTE BELLE, LORD CARSON along with classy closers LIT DE JUSTICE, PAYING DUES and LANGFUHR. With all these stars, somebody has to threaten the track record and sure enough, this race ties it!
3) DISTAFF - Watch classy JEWEL PRINCESS, DIFFERENT and 1995 Juvenile Filly winner MY FLAG try to run down speedsters SERENA'S SONG and TOP SECRET.
4) MILE - Another tremendously talented field, featuring DA HOSS, European stars MARK OF ESTEEM and SPINNING WORLD, SAME OLD WISH, Canadian speedball KIRIDASHI, HELMSMAN, classy filly MEMORIES OF SILVER going for five straight wins, and another top turf gal, CHAPOSA SPRINGS.
5) JUVENILE COLTS - Can speedy BOSTON HARBOR turn the tables on ORDWAY? Oh yes, and with room to spare! Also left in his wake are ACCEPTABLE and CASH DEPOSIT.
6) TURF - DIPLOMATIC JET goes for the Eclipse award against fellow American MARLIN, winner of the Secretariat, and Canadian toughie CHIEF BEARHEART, but all must beware European invaders PILSUDSKI, SINGSPEIL, who would go on to win the Japan Gold Cup, and SWAIN.
7) CLASSIC - Having earlier tied CITATION's record of sixteen straight wins, CIGAR, coming off a stunning loss to SKIP AWAY, now must face the horse who stopped his streak, DARE AND GO, along with California's classy ALPHABET SOUP, 1996 Preakness winner LOUIS QUOTORZE, 1996 Belmont winner EDITOR'S NOTE, 1996 Travers winner WILL'S WAY and the always tough DRAMATIC GOLD. The result is a classic race for the ages, ending in a three-way horse photo establishing a track record - you won't want to miss it.
Highlights include the first Breeders' Cup win by a woman trainer, JEANINE SAHADI, along with two straight wins for COREY NAKATANI, while NICK ZITO finally gets on the Breeders' Cup board with the classy daughter of SUMMER SQUALL, STORM SONG. In addition, there's a segment on how COREY NAKATANI overcame the tragic murder of his sister, how horses are supplemented to the Breeders' Cup, how an undeserving horse like RICK'S NATURAL STAR ever made it to the big dance, and beautiful footage of the immortal SECRETARIAT's visit to Woodbine, where he won the last race of his gallant career in true championship form!
FOR A DETAILED CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF ALL 7 RACES SHOWN IN THIS FEATURE, INCLUDING THE NAMES OF ALL THE HORSES IN EACH FIELD - JUST REQUEST A COPY AND A COMPILATION SHEET ALONG WITH THE 1,2,3 FINISHERS WILL BE E-MAILED TO YOU.
(3 Hours and 35 Minutes)
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||European Flat Racing|